Fall 2019 HAM Radio Classes
Starting September 9, 2019
The Warminster Amateur Radio Club (WARC), Warminster PA is offering free classes for people interested in Amateur Radio on 8 consecutive Mondays from September 9 – October 23. The classes will be held at the Ben Wilson Senior Center, 80 Delmont Ave, Warminster, PA 18974 from 7:00pm to 9:00pm.
Licensed Ham Radio operators can talk with other Hams across town, across the country or around the world – even into outer space with Astronauts on the International Space Station. And Morse Code is no longer a requirement to get your Ham Radio License. Classes are approximately two hours in length and are presented in an easy to understand format appropriate for all age groups. No prior experience is required. Topics will include Ham Radio for beginners, digital communications, VHF / UHF & satellite communications, and HF (shortwave) communications.
Classes being offered this fall are:
- Entry Level Technician Class: This instructor lead class will give the basics you need to get started in Amateur (HAM) Radio. Most students will be ready to take the 35-question multiple choice license test by the end of the class.
- Upgrade Class: This class is for the existing license holder wishing to upgrade their license. Study groups for current licensees wishing to upgrade to General or Extra class will be offered at the same time in an open discussion format with topics covered to be selected by the students. Experienced WARC members will lead the discussions.
- Elmering* Class: This class will allow the Amateur Radio Licensee (Any Class) to ask any question(s) that he or she has. Class topics will be discussed at the first meeting, allowing attendees to make their suggestions of topics they would like to see discussed. Once the list of topics is set, a schedule will be created. There will also be plenty of time for Q&A for anyone needing help from experienced WARC members. Whether it’s which radio to buy, how to set-up an antenna, solder a connector, troubleshoot a problem or debug a digital mode, we will help you get the most out of the hobby. *(Elmer is a title of respect given to experienced Ham Radio operators who help and guide others.)
All classes are held at the Ben Wilson Senior Center, just off Street Road and Delmont Avenue in Warminster, PA.
For further information you can email us at email@example.com.
Warminster Amateur Radio Club conducts Amateur Radio License Testing sessions the last Monday evening of each month except August and December. The sessions are held at the Benjamin Wilson Senior Center, 580 Delmont Ave., Warminster, PA, and start promptly at 7:00 PM (registration 6:45 PM). The cost, as specified by federal statute, is $15.00 per testing session in 2003. Confirm all information, in advance, with the contact person.
- Licensed applicants must bring the original, and one photocopy of their license.
- All applicants, including children, must bring two forms of positive ID.
- Also bring the original, and a copy, of any Certificate of Successful Completion needed to prove current status.
Talk-in is available on the club repeater, (147.09+ PL131.8 as needed). Directions and details can also be obtained by calling Larry Abbott (215) 704-3282 between 9AM and 9PM.